Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Feb 1999 20:58:40 EST
From:         Sam Bateman <SBate82659@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wasserboxer (was: I drove it! (engine swap info)5Cyl.)

<< Ron wrote: "I don't think I'd want to go much faster than the 75 mph range that my Westy offer..."

In the recent past, I have seen volks post speed numbers similar to the above. Not saying that any of these figures are unrealistic, but aren't you affraid of your engine digesting it self at these speeds? Keeping one eye on the speedo and the other on the tach, I start to get nervous at 65mph, as the tach approaches the limit of the solid green range, moving toward the broken green range. It seems, at least in my bus, that sixty is a nice, comfortable cruise speed - not taxing the engine, but perhaps slowing up traffic a bit.

Alan Bosch >>

Well I can't speak for other's vans but my '87 GL seems just as happy at 80 as it does at 60. Not that I drive it that speed very often - for the same reasons that Ron listed in his previous post. It is my experience that my motor LIKES to rev. It is not, on the other hand, fond of running at low rpm's in 3rd or 4th gear (although it DOES have the torque to do it). I would rather drive it with the tach above the green zone on the highway than lug it in 4th gear at low speed. I always wind the tach up to 4,000 rpm before I upshift - even in 3rd gear (that equates to about 50 mph). If traffic or road conditions limit speed so that I'm running 2,000 rpm or less (approx. 40 mph) I downshift to 3rd.

I didn't always drive it this way, tho. When I first got the van I would only go to 3,000 or so before I upshifted thinking that I was saving fuel and wear & tear on the engine. I usually didn't exceed 60 mph even on the Interstate. I always averaged a consistent 19 - 20 mpg. My experience had been with buses and I knew the approx. speed they were comfortable at so I applied that to the Vanagon as well. I did notice, tho, that the torque peak seemed to be hitting about the same engine speed that I shifted at so I decided to wind it up to 4,000 on the upshifts to see how it felt. It seemed like a different vehicle - gobs of power (comparatively!). I figured that I would surely pay the price on fuel economy but, much to my surprise, the milage improved. Taking the engine to 4,000 before I shift and running 70 - 75 on the Interstate burning a tank of fuel at one stretch I now average 21 - 23 mpg (depending on prevailing wind direction). I haven't fully resolved the cross-wind stability issue at these speeds but the motor is happy as a clam to run between 4,000 and 4,250 rpm all day long. 130,000 miles and still winding freely!

Sam Bateman Fork Union, VA '87 Vanagon GL