Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Mar 1999 08:02:18 -0500
From:         "Jose R. Moscoso" <jmoscoso@UCCARIBE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Wasserboxer (was: I drove it! (engine swap info)5Cyl.)

+ACI-Saludos+ACI- to all: My '84 Westfalia has 170k+- miles, with only recently a motor overhaul +ACQ-2k at 160k miles and a transmission repair at 168k. My daily drive is about half hour in mountain side windings roads (there are a lot of this in PR). Weekends we travel southwest for almost 2 hours on the freeway to get to my wife parent house, average driving speed is 60-75mph except for the climbing strechs (almost 3 miles at 15-25 degrees slope) when speed drops to 40-50 in third gear. The only thing I regret is the air conditioner went dead almost two years ago now, and I have been needing it. Just yesterday temperatures climbed over to the low 80's.

My wife's car is a 1996 Honda civic sedan

I rather go barefoot than change my van... until I have enought dought to go north and get a more recent edition.

-----Original Message----- From: David Katsuki +ADw-dkatsuki+AEA-WORLD.STD.COM+AD4- To: vanagon+AEA-GERRY.VANAGON.COM +ADw-vanagon+AEA-GERRY.VANAGON.COM+AD4- Date: Wednesday, February 10, 1999 4:24 PM Subject: Re: Wasserboxer (was: I drove it+ACE- (engine swap info)5Cyl.)

+AD4-We have always driven our vanagons at 75-80 on the highway, with no ill +AD4-effects (several trips back and forth across the country at those speeds +AD4-when on interstates. ) I never run in the red range, however. +AD4- +AD4-Dave +AD4- +AD4- +AD4-At 10:48 AM 2/10/99 -0600, Alan Bosch wrote: +AD4APg-Ron wrote: +AD4APgAi-I don't think I'd want to go much faster than the 75 mph range that my +AD4APg-Westy offer...+ACI- +AD4APg- +AD4APg-In the recent past, I have seen volks post speed numbers similar to the +AD4APg-above. Not saying that any of these figures are unrealistic, but aren't +AD4APg-you affraid of your engine digesting it self at these speeds? Keeping one +AD4APg-eye on the speedo and the other on the tach, I start to get nervous at +AD4APg-65mph, as the tach approaches the limit of the solid green range, moving +AD4APg-toward the broken green range. It seems, at least in my bus, that sixty is +AD4APg-a nice, comfortable cruise speed - not taxing the engine, but perhaps +AD4APg-slowing up traffic a bit. +AD4APg- +AD4APg-Alan Bosch +AD4APg-'88 Wolfsburg +AD4APg-