Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Feb 1999 11:52:09 -0400
From:         Max Fenner <max.fenner@BERLIN.DE>
Subject:      Re: vanagon speeds/ my .02 Pfennig-long
Comments: To: Dan Soiney <soineydg@mail026.milwaukee.k12.wi.us>

>Hi All: >I have a friend who needed to return to WI after busses by the arch, and >made it back in about 6 hours or so in an 87 Syncro. He ran about 4300 rpm >or so at about 85mph. No ill effects. > >My .02 > >Danno > >Director of Electrons >Der Busbesitzer Gruppe >Http://www.ols-inc.com/~dbg > >>

Danno,

it is "Die Busbesitzer Gruppe", but "Der Busbesitzer", I finally wanted to tell you this as my "2 Pfennig" However, I agree that these Vanagons are really fast - wow. That is probably the reason why the German police used it for many years as the cruiser of preference, and once they chased down the bankrobbers,speeders, - fill in the blank- they booked them right at the table inside with that funny neon light above it. All this of course in the eighties. Time has passed, and time took its toll on the engines.

Yes my 88 GL after being tuned-up to perfection can easily cruise at 85 mph, but here is my .02

This kind of driving is abusing your car in all aspects, in particular since the roads in the US are not made for it.Everytime in my life where I looked at a burned out engine and tranny I came to wonder : Hey, thats what they are made for - mine must be a monday product .. but it was me trying to get more out of a used old car than it could possibly give to me.

Now coming to age I can only subscribe to driving within the limits, not to race my engine and take it easy because after all these Vanagons by nature are old outdated cars. Now don't give me this thing of they are so much fun,and nice looking and we as Vanagonites identify soo much with the really cool look - I am sure everybody has their own little story to it, "it is so great to haul the kids,kids love it" "I love the outdoors and camping" "It drives like a truck that I dreamt of since I am foour years old but I can't afford a caterpillar" "I am a sixties guy and it reminds me of my hippie-youth" "I love off-road activities and take my synchro through the mud..." whatever it is, it is silly.

And the key is, to admit to this sillyness and have some humour about it.And no comments here on the 80's Volkwagens being on the lower end of the foodchain : I bet if I would to offer every Vanagon owner a free new different car they would grab it :

Cruising at 85 miles per hour in a Vanagon produces bothering noise to your ears,is dangerous and produces an exponetially increased amount of pollution(never mind the Cat).How does this sit with "I love nature" ? There are people driving into the state parks with old Vanagons that only get 15 mpg and have emissions that we all know are yesteryears standards. Assuming there is no speedlimit and the roads are really nice and well paved would you really want to take out the Vanagon and test its limits - what's the fun about it, Granpa's Deville would be so much nicer. Ever wonder why you rarely see Vanagons anymore in Germany ? A Roadsystem that doesn't know a speedlimit and is in very good shape....

Oh boy did I forget to mention safety - no airbags and side impact, no shoulder straps in the back etc in all a pretty dangerous car for our kids.

So the defintion of Vanagon in its limits must be something different and lets all admit money is one half of it the other is that special "individuality"

Years ago I thought the object of my desire to drive through New Yorks Potholes would be a Citroen DS and believe me I have spent years and nights with these cars but after I sat in New York traffic with an overheating engine I gave up that idea, to be beat in NY it was just making more sense to drive a Detroit product,

I still like the Vanagon which I keep around my house and I love it, within its limits

no racing, no rpm above 2000 when cold etc. - pretty much what the manual and common sense/knowledge dictates.

Onkel Max

PS My last 2.1 Liter had a Audi 5000 3-speed auto trans in it (N90?) and had about 30K on the engine I could go 100 (real speed) with ease, sold the thing though and it was no fun.