Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Feb 1999 09:17:50 +0000
From:         Kirk van Druten <kirk@LANSHARKS.NET>
Subject:      88 Westy Oil Light On Intermittently
Comments: To: Vanagon List <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Hi,

My 88 Westy recently began intermittently turning on the oil pressure light and dashboard buzzer. I was pulling away from a toll booth about to shift from second to third gear when the buzzer and dash light suprized the heck out of me. I pulled over IMMEDIATELY and turned the engine off, thinking I'd lost the oil drain plug or filter.

All parts were where they should be. Oil level fine. Hmmm. I reluctantly re-started the engine and the light/buzzer went off and stayed off. Puzzled, I began to slowly accelerate back to about 15-20 mph and the buzzer/light came back on.

I'd read that some list members had problems with Fram brand oil filters (which I haven't used since) but I thought maybe the filter was funky. I changed the filter but that didn't help.

My next move was the change the oil pressure sender between the left side push rod tubes. This seemed to fix the problem, at least long enough to get me home (about 15 miles). Engine temp seemed quite normal and no oil light/buzzer. Thought I'd fixed the problem...

Yesterday the oil light/buzzer came back on again. Ick. It goes out if I turn off the engine and then back on and drive slowly afterwards. Is it likely there is really a problem with the oil pressure or is it more common there is a problem with a switch or wire somewhere? Do oil pumps fail intermittently? I obviously don't want to do a lot of driving until I figure it out.

Does anyone understand how the light/buzzer system works? There are two pressure senders (the other under/near the oil pump) which seem to work together to trip the dash light/buzzer. I'd change the second switch in a minute if it wasn't in such a hard to get-at place. Could corrosion on the spade connector on that switch cause such a problem? I was also told by a mechanic at a VW dealer that there's a relay under the dash. Could that be causing my light/buzzer to come on intermittently? Any other thoughts/suggestions?

I'm currently off-list. If possible please email me back directly as well as the list.

Thanks very much!

Kirk out

Kirk van Druten LANsharks Consulting 510-601-5475 Voice 510-601-5130 Fax kirk@lansharks.net www.lansharks.net