Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Feb 1999 09:32:00 EST
From:         KENWILFY@AOL.COM
Subject:      SACRIFICIAL OFFERING! (I am serious) <long>
Comments: To: satcong@VOL.COM

Bob's very reasonable price on his '85 camper has reminded me of a topic that I have wanted to speak to the List about for some time. My friend, who is a devout motorhead, has come up with what he calls the "car god" philosophy. He says that the way most car owners troubleshoot problems thier vehicles are having is like the stereotypical pagan villagers trying trying to appease thier hungry volcano god. Instead of sitting down with a manual, trying to get to know the system that they are having problems with, and coming up with a step-by-step troubleshooting method (most good manuals have charts like this in them already), they instead, out of some primal fear of all things mechanical, decide that the proper way to solve the problem is by making sacrifices to the "car god". They feel that the gods are angry with them and if they spend a certain amount of money on thier cars that then the gods will be appeased and allow them to drive thier vehicles again without mishap. They go to the parts store or take thier car to the mechanic and spend money buying parts to throw at the problem. When this does not work, thier reaction is that thier sacrifice must've not been enough, so they throw more expensive parts at the problem. Finally after hundreds or even thousands of dollars they either find someone who can help them troubleshoot the problem or they get disgusted and sell the car. I have seen this attitude ALOT on this list. I am not faulting anyone for this behaviour because I have been there myself. We all have to start somewhere. However I think one of the purposes of this list is to help folks learn about thier vans. So that when a problem comes up they will know thier vehicles well enough to at least have a good idea what the problem is (if not be able to troubleshoot thier own problems). This is the goal I have for the folks on this list. You have to become familiar with your van. 1. Open the rear engine compartment of your van and look around in there. Try to get over the fear of the unknown. You would be surprised how many folks I have run into that have never done this. 2. Buy a good manual and peruse it. Either a Bentley or one of those UK Haynes from Ron if you are low on cash. Get to know your vehicle. When you have a problem don't panic! 90% of the time it is something simple that you can fix yourself. 3. If you have to go to a mechanic try to go to one that has a good reputation for working on VWs (Vanagon specific would be nice) and insist on getting your old parts back (some mechanics are not honest and an honest mech will have no problem with this request). 4. When other folks on this list have a problem read the post and then read how they solved it later. This will prepare you for this problem in the future or perhaps help you to help someone else. I hope this helps some folks. I am not trying to put anyone down. If you need help with a problem it is way better to be honest and to ask for help than to pretend that you know what you are doing and wreck something. Let being a Vanagon owner be a growing experience. If you learn these systems on this van it will help you with any other vehicle you ever own since all cars basically have similar systems. Sorry about the preaching. Ken Wilford Van-Again John 3:16