Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Feb 1999 10:50:54 -0500
From:         "W. Silva" <wsilva@CAPECOD.NET>
Subject:      Re: propane leak question

David, We had the same problem when we bought our 85 Westy. This is a federal, DOT, Department of Transportation thing, not a state regulation. The tanks must be recertified every 10 or 12 years, I think 12.

To be on the safe side, I would have the propane company get rid of any gas that's in the tank, they can evacuate it safely. They should see the tank in place so they are sure of what you are doing. This is the instructions we got from our propane dealer.

Remove the tank from the van, wrap your spuds, the little brass connector things in cloth to protect them from dirt and grit while they are undone. Don't quote me on this but as I recall the threads on this are backwards as on all propane stuff, check with your propane dealer first.

Sand the tank, removing as much rust as possible, and take off the small metal "tag" that identifies the tank. Clean this tag up carefully as you must be able to read it when you are done so don't go hog-wild with the sand paper. As I recall, this is about 3" square. KEEP THIS TAG. The reason they want you to remove this tag is because dirt and moisture gets trapped behind it and it is usually the first place to rust through or become so thin that the tank won't hold the pressure. We removed it by using a Dremell cutting wheel at the tack welds in each corner of the tag. Sand the area under the tag. Take it to a place the services, supplies and repairs home propane tanks, not just a "fill station", bring the metal tag with you. They will pressure test it and stamp it (somewhere on the tank itself) with a DOT stamp and date if it passes OK, which it probably will. Then take it home, resecure the metal tag, we used a "metal epoxy" which was a two part epoxy that hardens like steel, prime and paint with any good metal paint. As far as the valves go, that a piece of cake for the gas co, they can fix it for less than $40.00, the original valve may not be available but they can install a "spitter" valve which is essentially an overflow valve. The tank only get filled about 2/3rds of the way, leaving head space for air so the liquid propane can be turned into a gas.

After re-installing the tank, do the soap test on all the fittings to make sure they aren't leaking or have the propane dealership do it for you, or as a last resort, a VW shop.

Good luck, happy camping. If I can be of any more help let me know

Wendy & John Cape Cod, MA

'85 Westy, "S-CAPE"