Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Feb 1999 22:12:18 -0800
From:         Dave Bayer <bayer@SYBASE.COM>
Subject:      Re: relay problems
Comments: To: ILIKEVW4ME@AOL.COM

Kurt Thomas wrote:

> van wont start. Fuel pump relay switching constantly (buzzing). Remove fuel > pump relay buzzing stops (of course) plug back in, it comes back. Swapped > relays no change.

If the fuel pump relay is switching that fast and swapping the other relay in that little black box causes the same behavior (that second relay does not have the timer unit built into it of course), then I believe you have a problem with either the relay ground or something before the fuel pump relay - such as your iginition switch. A standard relay like the digifant power relay (the other relay in that little black box) will only switch on when current is passing through the switching circuit (and if the relay is still any good, it will turn off when the current stops flowing it). If measure the voltage across the fuel pump relay's switching circuit and it is fluctuanting, then you know it's not the relays. If the voltage from the iginition switch (ground your multimeter to a know good ground) is fluctuanting, then the problem is before the relay. I forget where those relays ground - might be at the post just below the box - you might want to clean that ground point up while you are at it...

dave from the iginition switch If the digifant relay is actually making the noise, it could also be dying...