Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Feb 1999 07:48:47 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>
Subject:      Re: RMMW selling chinese parts/Extractor Exhaust

> I bought front wheel bearings from Rocky Mountain Motor Works > catalogue and they sent me bearings manufactured in China. > (I've seen the same brand in Wal-Mart at $5 for two)

> I've gone through several various brands (of extractor exhaust > systems) on my '72 with poor durability. However the last one > I bought from Rocky Mtn Motorworks which gives lifetime > guarantees on all their parts. I expect it too will rust out and > they will be the first one's I'll call when it does.

This is a pet peeve of mine. It is important not to confuse a "lifetime warranty" with any promise of quality. A lifetime warranty is merely a marketing ploy. Charge 120% of the value of a part, and you can afford to replace one out of five for free when they fail. It's just like buying an extended warranty on a product, except that the price of that warranty is already built in to the price and not optional. Now I'll be the first to admit that, as an RMMW distributor, I'm the first to take advantage of their "lifetime warranty" on behalf of a customer if a product I purchased through them fails. But I will also not hesitate to buy a product elsewhere, sans "lifetime warranty," if I can get significantly better quality at a comparable price.

It is worth noting that the "lifetime warranty" covers manufacturing defects only, not wear and tear. So RMMW and others can, should they choose to, deny a warranty claim based on rust-through or just plain "wearing out," on the grounds that this is normal wear not a defect. Now add to this mix the fact that the cheap Chinese part will probably "wear out" much sooner because of its low quality, hence the end of your "lifetime warranty." Now, more realistically, RMMW will almost certainly stand behind the Chinese bearing, and replace it for free, simply because it isn't worth losing a customer over a part that costs them about a dollar to replace. And they'll almost certainly do the same for the exhaust as well, when it rusts out. But you're still out the time, cost, and inconvenience of removing, shipping, and reinstalling this "lifetime warranted" part, only to receive a replacement that will rust out just as quickly, leaving you back at square one again. Most likely you'll just say heck with it and buy another one (if not the first time it fails, then certainly the second time), which is what they're banking on.

Take these wheel bearings or exhaust system as an example. For the $8 RMMW charged for the chinese wheel bearing, you could have bought a set of SKF's that are widely considered to be of much better quality (and wholesale for twice as much, incidentally, but retail for the same price since RMMW is marking up the chinese ones to cover their "warranty"). Now, the SKF's only come with the standard 6 month warranty. But three years from now, after you have paid the shipping and wasted the time removing and reinstalling "lifetime warranted" chinese bearings three times, those original $8 SKF's are still likely to be going strong. Now tell me, which was the wiser choice?

I'm not putting down RMMW. While I don't favor their wheel bearings, and their extractor exhausts are no better (or worse) than anyone else's, they do on the other hand offer me great prices on certain other VW parts of very high quality, including in some cases genuine Volkswagen product and O.E. German parts. So I've learned to pick and choose, buying from them where appropriate and from any of the other 30-plus suppliers I deal with when they have a better offering. But my criteria is parts quality first, and "lifetime warranty" second. It's a common misconception to confuse a "lifetime warranty" for a guarantee of higher quality, and this isn't always the case.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot http://www.busdepot.com