Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Feb 1999 01:22:09 EST
From:         Detlev Hanschke <DeHanschke@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: I drove it! (engine swap info)5Cyl. commend
Comments: To: VolksMD@aol.com

Hello Chris ,

< hey have taken the O.E.M. VoSA Engineering Ideas and put a perfect power plant in the place of the SA ....>>

I think each one of us have the own philosophy about upgrating and I think that the South African way the right evolution for the Vanagon is. SA offer a 4 Cyl. inline 1.8 l engine on the lower end and a 5 Cyl. inline 2.6 l engine on the upper end. Now it's up to every one of us how much power we need and how much money we like to spend for the power we will get.

<We (a collegue and I) will be installing the Conversions at our Shop in Vermont, and soon we will be one of the east coast installers. > I know about the price politic from Overland/Eurospec but still I think even for a low budget ($2700 for our Kit and if you luck $300 for the Donor Car) and with a little Handyman skill you can convert your Vanagon with a long lasting reliabl and Strong engine . This engine is designet to pull heavy cars like the Audi 5000 / 100 or later the Euro Van.

<< accelerating to a comfortable 85mph to pass all of the traffic >>

Even on a steep pass and with 80 miles on the Speedometer you can easy accelerat (Customer comend " It seems the Altermont is flat " 1400 feet high ) and this with one of the smallest 5 Cyl. 2.14 l and 103 hp and an compression ratio from 8.2 : 1 what allows you to use almost every Gas , even in Mexico when you can not be sure what you get when you stop on a Gasstation. An this engine is the smal version on the lower end you can pump it up to 158 Hp or more but then you have take care about your Transmittion(because of the torque this engine work perfect with a Automatic). Every one have to look on all the PLUS and MINUS and find the way to go.

I hope I will see you for an road test here in Livermore and you can experience the different and deside what is the right conversion for you.

Sincerely Detlev : Volkwagen Mechanic since 1977 / Working as Car High performer since 1981 Winkler related since 1986

Vanagon Projekt Livermore 456 Franklin Lane

925 606 8797