Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Feb 1999 15:00:19 -0500
From:         Henry Luhrs <Henry.Luhrs@NMR.BRUKER.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wasserboxer  (was: I drove it! (engine swap info)5Cyl.)

As a resident of New England, with only a few long steep grades, I have to agree with Dave. My 87 Syncro has been really comfortable, reliable, and smooth (especially on long trips) and I have only had one major problem (the usual head gasket leak) in ten years. I guess it could do with a bit more power, but no-one has mentioned how the in line four cylinder engines are for smoothness. I know that my wife's 85Jetta GLI is fine till about 70 to 75 in fifth when it gets pretty buzzy. The opposed 4 layout is quite a bit smoother. I will admit that the jetta motor (1.8 liter 100 HP in line four) is still going strong at 300K miles without ever being apart though. As I said, the only major problem with my waterboxer has been the one head gasket job at 85K miles (which VW paid for under their usual super secret special warranty). Now with 180 K and the right head dripping a bit on colder nights I am facing the same question. Should I re-do the heads again, or change to a new kind of engine. The option of getting a different vehicle hasn't even been considered and won't unless VW imports the syncro TDI eurovan with a manual transmission. I drove one on a recent business trip to Germany and that is the only van that I would consider to replace my Syncro Vanagon. Does anyone know how expensive the German larger displacement water boxer kits are? That could be a decent option if they aren't priced out of range.

Henry

============================================================================= Henry Luhrs (MA) Henry.Luhrs@nmr.bruker.com 78 Bus - Big Blue (240 K Miles) 85 Jetta GLI (Wife's) (310 K Miles) 87 Syncro - Big Red (180 K Miles) =============================================================================