Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Feb 1999 13:57:14 EST
From:         Steve Lashley <ThingGuy@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Warranty Rust Repair Gone Bad!

I posted a couple of weeks ago that I was taking my '93 EV in for warranty rust repair on the driver's side rear seam and rear hatch.

I picked it up today.

They did a great job on the rear hatch, but I was disappointed to see that they did not replace the rusty hardware for the rear hatch and license light.

On the rear seam, they did a lousy job. To seal the seam, they just squirted a bead of seam sealer down the body, and painted over it. It looks nothing like the original, and now is a long flat seam with bumps and ridges in it. It stands out and looks awful.

I told them it was unacceptable. They told me that this was all they could do, and was exactly what VW had authorized. I called the dealer, and they said I had to take it up with the VW rep. The VW rep refuses to call me back and says I have to take it up with the body shop.

I called the VW customer service number, and they told me that they stand behind the VW rep and what he says goes. I told Customer Service that I wanted the rep to call me directly, or I was going to track him down myself. He lives here in St. Louis.

I honestly think it looked better with a little rust on it. If I waxed it, the rust would almost disappear. Now it looks awful.

If anyone had a similar experience and had it straightened out, I'd like to hear how you did it.

If I can't work this out, I'm off to small claims court. Do I sue VW?, the body shop?, the dealer?, or all three?

Steve Lashley '93 EV MV '74 Campmobile EuroCampers.com Importing New German Side Tents, Carver Propane Heaters, and other cool accessories for Eurovan, Vanagon and Bus.