Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Feb 1999 02:46:35 -0600
From:         Blue Eyes <lvlearn@MCI2000.COM>
Subject:      Re: wires for gauges = time to run spare circuits and insulate

Bill said, "While I've got the interior of my vanagon taken apart, I thought I would run some wires . . . . . ."

By all means, don't stop with the instrumentation wiring. How many of us have wrestled with installing audio systems? And wouldn't it be nicer to have a couple more rear lighting circuits? Color coded wiring installed and left in place for any time you want to use it would be easy and inexpensive when the wall coverings are open, and a blessing when you want them. If you also think the space under the rear seat is a good place for your CD changer, get that cable installed now, not later when you'd have to pull panels again.

Then, before buttoning it all together, insulate it well. Again the cost is trivial, but the sound deadening effect alone makes it worth the effort. Much that differentiates luxury cars from lower priced lesser model corporate sisters is their QUIET. Installing plastic bags of fiberglass insulation could be done without much risk of breating air-borne glass shards nor leaving you scratchin' like a hound.

If it's quiet, you may play your sound system at lower levels yet hear music and conversation better. On long trips, you'll arrive less weary from the experience. It's nicer to pick sounds you hear rather than be subjected to higher levels of random road noise. While I've never seen accident report information broken out to test this theory, I'd bet drivers of quite vehicles are involved in fewer accidents. John