Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Feb 1999 16:35:24 -0800
From:         DAVID MOST <most@UCLA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: clutch repair update
Comments: To: "Robert A. Alexander" <satcong@vol.com>

> to cystic ovaries. Then, after the surgery, I have been perfectly > willing to show the owners the removed uterus, along with the cystic > ovaries, BUT do they have any idea of what they are looking at? I doubt > it.

I may not know about ovaries, but the idea of a clutch isn't that complicated. I'm quite certain that given a few minutes of explanation, I would understand why a particular part needed to replaced.

> The "proof" is in the "pudding". Should your clutch/shifting give you > anymore problems in the near future, you might be correct in suspecting > your mechanic of skinning you. Otherwise, I'd say that unless you are > prepared to enter such mechanical repairs yourself, leave it to the > "experts".

According to studies done by AAA and other groups, mechanics are more likely than not to skin you GIVEN THAT you have no prior relationship. The numbers are always higher than 50%, and of course, the degree of skinning varies significantly. Certainly, the odds are lower of being skinned if a recommendation is received even in the absence of a prior relationship, and other actions can be taken to lower the risk as well. However, in this instance, I went to a place with which I had no relationship, and the old parts were not available as promised. Even if the screeching noise is gone and, in fact, they replaced all the parts they said they replaced, I still have no way of knowing if the parts they collected and brought up front were mine. I don't expect to have problems with the clutch soon, but not having them does not mean that all the work they claimed to have done was necessary.

In addition, I don't agree that unless I'm prepared to do the job myself, then I shouldn't be suspicious of being skinned. I love to learn from "experts", but that doesn't mean that any expert can be trusted. By the way, I've had relationships with fabulous mechanics, and I've also gone to some who couldn't locate standard parts (and this was on Volvos and Toyotas). In fact, the ones who didn't know what they were doing even insisted I was wrong when saying something like, "hey, isn't that the voltage regulator over there?" when I was right. THe good mechanics have told me numerous times that the dishonest shops ruin the reputation of everyone in the industry. Unfortunately, the phenomenon is sufficiently widespread that such a reputation is pervasive and can't be overcome.

Things would sure be easier if the situation was different.

david