Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Sun, 21 Feb 1999 19:45:08 +0200
From:   Andreas Fenner <andreas.fenner@BERLIN.DE>
Subject:   Volkswagen Lawyers are after me! rightfully so !
Comments:   To: Marshall Ruskin <mruskin@pangea.ca>

> > If you really want to fight this, its expensive, but easy. >VW just made a big, misstake. The thing to do is without >warning sue them, claiming that you own the name! Looks to me >as if they let the cat out of the bag here. This will send the >action in to a different light all of a sudden and they may... >just may go away. > > Eric 86-VW4x4 > vw4x4@fyi.net 72-240z > Pittsburgh, PA USA 1936-Chrysler >

Sue Volkswagen ? what is he going to sue for ? The trademark/copyright laws evolve around the concept that whoever used it first gets the rights to aggressively inforce their interests.

If I would come up with a product and/or idea and have a registered trademark and some 60 years later it became a household name I would still inforce my rights. Why does anybody think to have received certain rights with the purchase of a product ? It is not the poor little guy who is run over by a large corporation, but it is pretty much naive to believe one would get away with this . Volkswagen has invested a tremendous amount of money in advertising and marketing and thats simply their job and thats what there is to it.By shares!! then you own a piece of the cake.

As to the legal aspects I think its best to ask Steven Schenk for quick clarification.

greetings

Andreas