Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Feb 1999 11:52:54 EST
From:         Jason Yasment <yazgod@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: LINUX will double gerry's speed
Comments: To: allred@EDRTECH.COM

While I was in the Navy on the USS Zephyr(PC-7) there where these touch screen control panels, that you could adjust any function from any one of the workstations throughout the ship. Example, monitor each cyliners specs from the bridge, do navigation from the engineroom, so on so forth. This gave me the idea of mounting a small monitor up front, PC components in one of the back storage area. Using a program such as carcomp or another similar to it have the same sort of set up in my Westy. The only problems were that I will not use a microsoft OS in an application like this. Just before I left the Navy we were going to IT2000 (moving every pc and computer to NT). While it made sence in the procurement of parts and support, it was an overall inferior setup. Sorta like buying a Ford and getting lifetime warrenty,but spends most of it's life in the shop. Writing a point paper to try and despute with the powers that be, I set up a system that we deployed with (3 Pentium 133 laptops with 32meg RAM wired together with a netgear hub), one with NT and one with Linux. Now, most of the people who deployed with this were educated just enough to know left from right. I had to set the systems up to be plug and play or idiot proof. I discovered once you make it idiot proof someone makes a better idiot. But anyway my ersults came to this. Linux left NT dead in the water in this application. Support was free and could be found anywhere if you had Internet access. Linux was customizable to each application and required far less maintainance to run. I'll keep this short, but will expand upon it if anyone is interested.

>Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 07:45:41 -0800 >Reply-To: Scott Allred <allred@EDRTECH.COM> >From: Scott Allred <allred@EDRTECH.COM> >Subject: Re: LINUX will double gerry's speed >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > >Does anyone's Vanagon use either LINUX or NT? >

Jason Yasment '84 Vanagon Westfalia '98 Jetta TDi AOL Instant Messenger: jyaz2