Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Feb 1999 12:48:55 -0600
From:         Robyn Rudisill <robyn.rudisill@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Linux NT and the US Navy (way off topic)
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

I can't resist. I tried, but I can't.

I believe that many of you are spouting about NT as being so unstable when it's not. I think what you are really trying to say is that it is an improper application for our use and hardware. NT is amazing considering where computing started and where it's going.

LINUX is great at was it does, (not much, for now); and would be great for a groupie of LINUX to run a listserv, but if the admin isn't comfortable with the OS then we will all be in that "Let's learn together mode." Which is no fun for users or admin.

Breaking up Microsoft will take us back to the time when most applications didn't work with most other applications and standards were defined as a point of departure. Microsoft's free stuff and bad (to some, evil) business tactics have created way more industry and commerce then they could have destroyed even with intent. I have worked for a company that had an entire product (developers, marketers, sales, and support) destroyed by MS's give-a-way bundle: Aldus' Persuasion killed by a lesser (at the time) Powerpoint.

I can't believe that people actually use "hate" with respect to Bill. There are bigger things for us to expend our energy and neurons.

We will never have what Bill has, so get over it. He will never have what we have, a life and the capacity to like quirky loaf-shaped vans that can sometimes invoke a sense of adventure not seen in most cars today.

Well, sorry for the rant and thanks for your time. Robyn