Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Feb 1999 20:04:29 -0800
From:         John Scheckel <jscheckel@NUTLEY.COM>
Subject:      Re: Need info on head leak.
Comments: To: Peter Noto <peter_noto@BIGFOOT.COM>

Peter Noto wrote: > > Hi all, > > I'm new to the list and vanagons in general. I just bought a 86 westy with > 82,000 on her. Of course I had to find this list and learn about the head > gasket problems after I plopped down my $. > > I've read all the info under the problems section of the site and I know I > have the ability to swap out heads if I have to. > > I bought the van because I am moving from the Florida Keys to San > Francisco, and needed transportation that could get me, the dog and all my > junk to the west coast. > > The van runs great, and always well within the center of the temp gauge > after worm up. I have had it for about 3 weeks. I checked the cooling > fluid after reading about the head gasket problem last week. The fluid was > about 3/4 of an inch bellow minimum. I was in a hurry and at a gas station > which wanted $10 for a very small bottle of anti-freeze so i topped it off > to just below the maximum line with water. Within a day i started to notice > a sickening sweet smell when I got out of the van after a drive which got > the van to mid temp gauge reading (I make a lot of very small trips, I live > on an island). > > At first I thought it might be burning out the clutch or something, but > after some sniffing around I found a wet spot on the top of the forward left > cylinder right at the seal of the head. I ran the van until it warmed up an > left it idol. I could see a very small amount of fluid escaping at this > point and cooking off, hence the sick sweet smell. > > Now obviously I have a problem, my main question is this. Is it fatal and > if so, is it immediately fatal? I need to move soon and I want to know if I > can make this 3,000 mile drive without killing my engine. The van does not > run hot, if I leave it to idol after a good hard run, it runs with the > needle just about above the bulb of the warning light, if I am driving any > speed, it stays pegged dead center of the heat gauge. It does not leak any > fluid parked with the engine off. I am wondering if the addition of water > lowered the boiling point of the coolant fluid, allowing it to boil and > create steam pressure forcing the leak? > > Any thoughts, comments or ideas would be greatly appreciated. > > Peter Noto > Westy 86 > peter_noto@bigfoot.com > 305-292-1484

Do not make the 3000 mile journey without first changing the head gaskets. It won't be fatal until all the coolant is lost and...

John S