Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Feb 1999 18:48:44 -0600
From:         Eckie Prater <Eckie@PRATER.COM>
Subject:      Re: Odometer clicking/not working?
Comments: To: type2@type2.com

List members,

The story of an easy repair gone bad. Purist be not offended. (82 Vanagon)

>After many miles (or perhaps not so many) the little green gear which drives >the odo gradually works its way off the shaft until it no longer makes >contact with its drive (worm) gear.

Okay sounds easy enough,

I removed my speedo yesterday to repair/replace this gear wheel. Removal was quite easy (82 Vanagon), however everything is soft 17 year old German plastic. Some dash parts where screws have compressed for many miles were soft and cracked. I was very careful in the speedo removal. I found the loose gear wheel and pushed it back where it belonged. I then handed the repaired speedo to my number one who behind me soon softly muttered, "I broke it." "BROKE IT!", I replied. I turned to see the broken indicator needle (more sun damaged soft plastic) in one hand and the speedo in the other.

Here's the rest of the story.

I found an old BIC ballpoint pen and took out the inside part. I cut off the upper ink tube where there was no ink. I then trimmed it to the correct length and pushed it carefully onto the stub of what was left of the broken needle spindle. I had my 13 year old daughter make me a tiny color graphic of a lightning bolt. I super glued the odometer gear to it's shaft. Then superglued the ink tube with the lightning bolt hiding it onto the speedo spinner. I let it set overnight. This afternoon I put a tiny dot of white lube on the worm gear, turned all the odometer wheels to zero and replaced the speedometer in the dash. Works great, looks cool.

Lesson learned (relearned): 1. Easy repairs may or may not be easy. 2. I have several early 1970's GM and VW cars with better quality plastic parts than any of the 1980's cars I have or had, any brand. I have a 98 Chevy pickup that has so much plastic, it static shocks you each time you get out of it. I have a fully metal and leather 73 Buick Electra 225 (seen at www.Eckie.Prater.Com ) that never static shocks - no plastic. 3. Helpers are well intentioned but can cost more than just time.

I'm done. Thanks for listening, I feel much better now. Eckie Prater Eckie@swbell.net

Footnote: On driving to work early the next morning - No dash lights. Oh, well.