Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Feb 1999 20:38:41 -0800
From:         Vanman <mckayaa@OIT.EDU>
Subject:      power steering rack

Well, I'll get right to my problem. I brought my '85 GL into the recommended local VW mech today (he seems to know aircooled pretty well, as well rabbits/golfs, but is sorta shady on the H2O vanagons). I was losing power steering fluid pretty fast, and as we had it on the lift, he pulled the dust boot on the PS rack a little bit, and it amost showered PS fluid all over the guy. He said that the rack is shot, and I think he is right. Please correct us if we are wrong. Next step was to locate a reman rack, and after some hard looking, he found a "short" rack for ~$205 USD. He ain't sure if it is the right one, but his supplier says it is. Does this ring a bell for any of you? I am sortta strapped for cash, as I have no job, but school, and am living off of financial aid. What would any of you suggest? I am currently running w/ the belt off of the PS pump, to keep from running it dry, and will be doing so for my 550 mile round trip home this weekend. Another option, my dad's 84 GL has no PS, and I like the way it handles very well, if not more than w/ PS. How difficult would it be to convert to non-PS, and what would need to be done? The mech. says that he will not attempt a conversion w/o a detailed description on how to do so. I saw an ad for an '80 westy being parted out from Chis ( JordanVw@AOL.COM ) Is this van non-PS, and how much for the rack and steering wheel, if in GOOD condition? Would these parts bolt right onto my van? Those are all of my questions for now, if I have more, I will fill you in....... TIA

-Aaron Mckay mckayaa@oit.edu college student in mechanical engineering at Oregon Institute of Technology '85 vanagon GL

P.S. That same mech quoted $3000 + for a brand new VW rack, and I thought that capacitor AFM fix was spendy........