Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Feb 1999 06:12:45 -0500
From:         Frank Terhaar-Yonkers <fty@CISCO.COM>
Subject:      Re: LINUX will double gerry's speed

NT "user friendly?" Excuse my while I stop laughing .. If all you do is install a couple of shrink-wrap apps, sure. Anything else and it's a nightmare.

Linux and/or FreeBSD (another free Unix variant) are far more robust and stable.

This is an email gateway server that I maintain for an elementary school. It runs FreeBSD 2.8 on a 486/66 and is quite adequate for the job:

(oge)~ ->uptime 5:54AM up 42 days, 15:51, 3 users, load averages: 0.08, 0.02, 0.01

The only reason the uptime is that short, is because that's when I installed it.

I don't know how Linux is setup WRT application ports, but on FreeBSD it can't be easier. i.e. to install the Apache web server:

login cd /usr/ports/www/apache13 make make install

The make, fetches the tar file from wherever it lives, applies patches compiles and installs a working default config.

- Frank

>To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > >I think it's quite simple. NT is real user-friendly and takes very little >"in depth" working knowledge to run it. As with anything else in software, >there is usually a better way. It just depends on who's side your more >comfortable with or how much stock you have in the company. :-) Because >technology changes so rapidly, you need to evaluate new technology and >determine which is the best direction, with support, one wants to take their >company. The idea that every one is using it, is a poor example of keeping >up with changing technology. I believe that whatever operating system is >running, it will crash--nothing is perfect or foolproof. > >Bill > >-----Original Message----- >From: moon <moon@BINTERACTIVE.COM> >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> >Date: Wednesday, February 17, 1999 2:02 PM >Subject: Re: LINUX will double gerry's speed > > >>----- Original Message ----- >>Subject: Re: LINUX will double gerry's speed >>>NT is the most popular server OS for good reason. >> >>yes, a well calculated reason. >> >>> Memory is dirt cheap, so >>>that's no issue at all. NT, when set up properly, by somebody who knows >>>how, is a very stable platform. >>> >>>Bill (SE Arizona) (Bill@freeholder.com) HTTP://www.freeholder.com >>>---------------------------------------------------------- >>>You can't do everything, but you can do something. >>>You can't help everyone, but you can help someone. >>>Even one candle helps to push back the darkness. >> >>if it's a memory hog, then throw more memory at it - is that the idea? >>how about, it's a memory hog, get some better software... >> >>moon >

\\\\////\\\\////\\\\\////\\\\\////\\\\////\\\\////\\\\////\\\\////\\\\////\\\\ Frank Terhaar-Yonkers Cisco Systems, Inc. TISU/NSITE 7025 Kit Creek Road PO Box 14987 Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709 fty@cisco.com voice(919)472-2101 fx(919)472-5600