Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Feb 1999 10:28:13 -0600
From:         Richard Dunsheath <rdunsheath@AKAMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: A/C How do I Get it off?
Comments: To: Jason Cornfeld <vanagon@LGCY.COM>

Jason wrote: Hey Guys! I am in it! I am going to try and do the head gasket deal by myself.. I have the right hand one off.. now.. the left.. I have instructions.. but How in the H@#$ do I get that dang A/C Compressor off like it says???? Please help!! and any help will be appreciated.. anyone near the layton Utah area please help too =) ! *********************************************************

Get a bentley manual for help.

also read: http://www.bostonengine.com/articles/waterboxes.html

You use big allen wrenches to remove the air conditioner. It is a tight fit, so after you loosen everything that you can; loosen it from its fitting by prying with a big screwdriver or similar. Then it is also a pain to fit back into its bracket after the heads are done. I used a plastic hammer to help persuade it into the proper position. Got it all nice and tight and then I had to remove it once again for some reason because I didn't replace it in the right sequence. It is a tight bugger, but not super hard.

I had more trouble getting the bolts off of the water pump pulley. Every time I tried to turn the bolt the whole pulley turned. I finally got a pair vice grips attached to the rim of the pulley and let it turn until it jammed itself. ********************************************************************

but one more thing.. if the head is pitted.... what should I use to fill it.. or can I just have it milled.. (Machined) Down??? Thanks in advance!! ***********************************************************

Boston Bob says to use JB Weld. Since I left my engine in the van when I did my heads, I thought that was going to be messy. I used some of that epoxy putty, marine version, that I picked up from Walmart. You cut a chunk off, knead it until it is well mixed and warmed up , and then spread a thin layer on the edge of the cases making sure that you work it into the pits. After it sets up use a small flat file to carefully remove the excess putty and square up the edges.

When I removed my heads, both the heads and the case were pitted, but the heads did not leak. I replaced the heads because the little green O-ring that seals the combustion gasses out of the coolant had decomposed, so I was getting gas into the coolant. From what I observed, it is possible to have pitted heads and no leak. Use the right sealant on both the gaskets and on the bolt heads. Boston Bob gives part numbers. The yellow sealant is recommended for the bolts, because, apparently, it remains soft enough that you can retorque the heads without breaking the seal. I used silicon sealant, and even though my heads do not leak, I can't retorque without potentially causing a leak. --

Regards,

Bryan, TX (1 hour north of Houston, 3 hours east of San Antonio, 3 hours south of Dallas. Near Texas A&M)

1982 Vanagon Santa Maria (Mary) 1982 Vanagon San Diego (Sandy) 1987 Maroon Vanagon Aggie