Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Feb 1999 22:50:13 -0800
From:         "Laurence W. Burt" <lwburt@SPIRITONE.COM>
Subject:      Re: G60 motor in an '88 westy

Mark R Drovdahl wrote: > > Still doing research on the G60. Thanks to everyone who's contributed to my > cause. I've got a few more questions to bounce off the collective brain. > Hey Mark

This is Larry, new on the list as of tonight. I have a 1986 GL Westy, which I bought from the original owner 4 1/2 years ago at about 115 K. Original engine, never opened up. Last summer at about 155K the heads started leaking terribly, so bad in fact that my local mechanic refused to due the usual head replacement (1800+) saying he couldn't guarantee it because the block was corroded. So my options were:

1. Get someone less scrupulous to do the heads $1500-$1800? 2. Get a used engine--really a crap shoot. The best deal I found had 117K on it and would cost over $1000 plus several hundred in labor. 3. Get a "rebuilt" engine from a California outfit for about 2400, plus several hundred to install, but again my usual mechanic said they wouldn't do it because they'd had bad experiences in the past--some were ok, some not, but if there was a problem it was hard to get them to come through without a long wait and hassle. 4. Get a "rebuilt" engine from some Canadian outfit that supplies VW dealers, and have my local mechanic install it. I opted for this and haven't regretted it at all. The total cost was over $3000, but I plan to keep the van for another 10 years and feel like I got a bargain.

I have a much smoother engine, no leaks! A little more power, a little better mileage, much better driveability, no more idiot lights coming on randomly, and as a result I'm enjoying and using my van a lot more!

If I understand your post correctly, you have a synchro. This is a major reason your van is underpowered. I thought about getting a synchro, but decided against it because of the substantial extra weight, poorer gas mileage, lower gearing, mechanical complexity, poorer turning radius, etc. The few times per year I need the traction I carry chains, but I'll have to admit there have been several times I've wished for a synchro!

Larry Burt, lwburt@spiritone.com