Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Feb 1999 08:20:02 -0500
From:         Robert Rountree <rountree@PLANETEER.COM>
Subject:      Re: CV lube helper

This is an idea I have been kicking around, I just sent this to Bill... let me know what the rest of you guys think. ------------------------- (after finding the article Bill was talking about and seeing the photos)

Well that's different than I was thinking...... My idea is much simpler, with less mess and far less labor, BUT not as complete an operation....Here is what I'm want to do to the 8 CV's on my Van... NOT remove them (first giant labor saver)... First on the small end of the boots, carefully slide a flat screw driver (or metal shim) under the metal band, so it's between the boot and under the band, being careful NOT to rip or tear the boot, .....next ... using a Dremel tool, cut the band across the screwdriver (or what ever you slide under there to protect the boot from the dremel disc)..... remove the band and now slide a screw driver under the boot, lifting it up, being careful not to tear the boot..... now slide your grease gun nipple (with a CV grease cartridge in it) up in there and give it a few good shots... remove everything and gently massage the boot (being careful not to crack it) by massaging it, you are trying to even out the grease so it's not all in one lump, so when that axle gets to spinning, the G forces don't cause it to load on just one spot....make sure the boot has returned to it's round shape (might need to lift the edge again to let some air in) .... last step... instead of using a new metal band, which I can't find anywhere by themselves, I was thinking that 2 or 3 good nylon tie lock straps each with the clip centered equally around the shaft would work ok, unless you got into some deep muck or ice slush.....this would be an item that you would check now and then, having 3 would give you some warning and back up if you started loosing them.... what do you think?

Rob 87 Westy SyncroGL.....Cynosure 79k km Moonstone Ont. rountree@planeteer.com