Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Feb 1999 08:54:37 -0800
From:         Steve Macaulay <smacaulay@INFINTIUM.COM>
Subject:      Load screeching sound from leaving lights on?

It was raining here yesterday and I inadvertantly left my lights on my 89 Westy when I returned to work after lunch. When I walked out to the parking lot 4.5 hours later I saw that the lights were on. Luckily for me the main headlights are cut off if you remove the key, so I was hoping that I would still be able to start it since the parking lights were only on a few hours. It did start right up, but I immediately heard a loud screeching noise coming from the engine compartment. I cut the engine off and restarted it and the loud noise returned. I left it running and walked to the back for a better listen. The noise was very loud and I decided to cut off the engine. I started it back again, got the same noise, and decided to give it a little gas. The noise got quietier so I did the same thing again. A little quietier again. I cut it off one more time, gave it some gas, and the noise disappeared and hasn't returned.

I assuming leaving the lights caused this to occur since I have never heard this noise before. Anybody have any thoughts on what really happened? Is this an indication of a particular part(s) going bad? I don't want to find myself being unable to jump start the van if I inadvertantly leave my lights on again. The van only has 57k miles on it so there isn't an excessive amount of wear on the parts.

Thanks for your help,

Steve

89 Westy Richmond, VA