Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Feb 1999 15:06:07 EST
From:         Victor Montgomery <vmontgo32@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Burned FI wiring
Comments: To: max.fenner@berlin.de

I am trying not to go down the road of everyone changing out parts to see what will or not work. Prior to the problem, a new fuel tank, gas lines, fuel pump and filter were installed on the vehicle. Rust and other fuel trash is not a consideration. All injectors have also been replaced, leaving the problem to another area as all injectors check out OK. I am dealing with the VW dealer in the area and will not deal with his subcontract shop and will hold the dealer responsible for all warranties, etc. Time will prove whether the dealer was a wise choice. I cannot understand why a master VW tech is not available in upper South Carolina. My regular shop is not set up to handle fuel injection and only handles carbureted older vehicles and is willing to change it over, but at the expense of a minimum of 5 miles per gallon. Hopefully this will not have to be done and the FI can be fixed. Time will tell, but I will NOT go down the road of random "see if this works" repairs.

thanks, Victor...

<a couple of years ago my van stopped working - I did notice a hard klong noise from the back but thought it was related to some wheel mechanics or so and had it checked.The shop said everything fine than the car stopped alltogether.>

<I learned so far that this sound is the first sympyom of a bad injector. The story that unfolded from there was horrible : car got towed and the mechanics started to work on the system. replaced the wires, fuel pumps a whole lot of things - didn't work. And then they farmed out the job to a VW Dealer in CT - wow what a bunch of morons they were, quoted me some $1500 via my shop the computer would be bad. It appeared to me that everybody was trying to sytematically replace every component hoping it would do the trick ! They had no clue... "we are No.1 VW service facility..." In short this farming out is a bad idea, you should be the one customer who deals with one competent facility and there is the issue of contractual legal situations and warranty.

As so often with the Vanagon it is merely a matter of something tiny and stupid that you need to find (in my case a $60 injector and the right tests did it...) if you let others tinker you end up spending a lot and not necessarily in the right direction.

This list and the attitude that suits me has made my car reliable and inexpensive to maintain, however be aware, let us know where you live I am sure someone can recommend competence in your area and/or the right path to fix the problem.

Onkel Max>>