Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Feb 1999 17:55:05 -0600
From:         Darrell Boehler <midwesty@MIDWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: CV lube helper

-------------------- Hi Robert and Volks, It is possible to drill and tap the cv joints as I described this morning. I had a lobro spare cv and went to work on it. It seems they are only hardened where they make contact with the rollers. I think forcing new lubrication through the joint from the flange side as I proposed will flush the old lubrication and any metal particles that are imbedded in the lubricant with it. A very similar process was / is used on main frame computer motor generators once a year. These systems used large ball bearings similar to our cv joints. They however had a opening on the bottom for the old lubrication to drop on out. We will need to use a vacuum pump somehow to remove most of the old lubrication from the boot. I think the process will fly. I plan to modify the CVs on my new 85 truck when I pack the CVs next week. I have been installing zerks on non lubricatable ball joints and tie rod ends for years. The factory pack in them last a long time but this way I can renew the lubrication. CV joint replacement / lubrication is a piece of cake compared to replacing ball joints especially the ones on old busses.

Darrell

-----Original Message----- From: Robert Rountree <rountree@planeteer.com> To: Darrell Boehler <midwesty@MIDWEST.NET>; Vanagon Mailing Lis <vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com> Date: Friday, February 19, 1999 3:41 PM Subject: Re: Re: CV lube helper