Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Feb 1999 11:38:48 -0800
From:         zzIML-VANAGON <IML-VANAGON@I405.COM>
Subject:      Idea to start all-vw combined effort list server

The type1 karmann-ghia list was shut down with 1 day notice on Friday. From what I understand, a corporation was hosting it and decided time came to cut if off due to expense.

As you may know, similar things happened to the vintagebus and type2 lists, they were down for weeks while they re-located, then they had to re-locate again as the bandwidth usage was too much.

I also know that the VANAGON list has had equipment and move concerns.

=== What to do ===

I feel that the time has come where we need to go commercial or take charge. I don't want to go commercial, so I'm suggesting we take charge!

Pool our resources. Have one massive list server for all VW discussions. Archive all the lists in one place. Allow web based access to the lists messages. One massive and highly-organized buy/sell site.

I've already written up some ideas, but I know I need help.

I know that people are willing to donate and so forth, but it is a waste if we are all donating to small piles and not overcoming the equipment and bandwidth challenge.

=== What I need ===

I need people to p-mail me who are interested in this idea. I am suggesting that we start out be forming a new mailing list (I can do a small manual one of 20 or so people) and we start discussing the options.

I'll be up front that I already have a plan that might work. It involves charging $20 a year membership, but it is not for profit club type thing. But I need help working out the idea and finding out if there are other options. As I understand it, VANAGON is hosted by a site that isn't charging the normal cost of bandwidth... I'm interested in hearing the options.

Please p-mail so we don't clutter the list, this may never fly and just waste people's time.

Stephen Gutknecht Renton, Washington (Seattle area) http://vw.i405.com/ <-- host of the Type2 archives