Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Feb 1999 17:06:57 -0800
From:         wilson <sweitzer@LELAND.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject:      emissions problem

My 85 GL just failed a California smog check pretty badly. Both the HC and CO levels were really high (for both the idle and 2500rpm tests). Everything else checked out fine (visual inspections, rpm, CO2, etc.) Over the past few years, it has never even come close to failing. The engine still runs well and everything seems pretty normal (to my unexperienced eye and ear). But I have noticed that the gas mileage has gotten worse over the past 6 months. Is there a connection between these two? I would really appreciate any advice about this. Not only do I need to pass because it's my only car, but I also feel pretty guilty about being a "gross polluter." Thanks, Wilson 85GL