Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Feb 1999 23:24:40 EST
From:         Detlev Hanschke <DeHanschke@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: G60 motor in an '88 westy
Comments: To: mdrovdah@SPU.EDU

<< Still doing research on the G60. Thanks to everyone who's contributed to my cause. I've got a few more questions to bounce off the collective brain. Hi Mark,because of the torque range from this G60 engine I do not recommend to install this engine in a heavy weight Vanagon. 1) My deal on the G60 motor includes the 5 spd tranny. Should I get this and have it installed, or stick with my 4 manual? The 5 speed tranny ,if not from a Vanagon , will not fit. 2) Can I avoid the supercharger problem that David referenced? (see $2000 repair cost) The G 40 never had a proble the G 60 is to big for this kind of super charge and got problem with the lubrication. 3) Does anyone have the email address of the guy (Ron, I think) in Santa Barbara who was selling a G60 Syncro? I'd sure like to talk to him.

4) Is $2450 (maybe slightly less) for the motor and tranny reasonable? Good? Bad? If you get all the stuff around the engine (ECU,Wire harness , ......) it's not cheap but ok. 5) I don't have the resources to do the work myself, how much should I be willing to pay someone else to do it? I think you shouldt expect 25 hr labor.This depend on the quality of the Shop/mechanic and ad the labor rate. 6) Tough one here. I'm looking for a long term solution to head leaks and general underpoweredness, I plan on owning this vehicle for a long time, is this the answer I'm looking for? Yes go with the VW/Audi 5 Cyl. conversion. 7) Lastly, anyone have the specifics on the Audi 5 cyl? Like price, hp, torque, etc. We start at 2.1 l 103 Hpand 150 torque up to max.2.6 l max. 220 Hp and to much torque (the tranny is with more than 200 torque on the limit) Our kit start at US$ 1799 (Winkler)for a Handyman who do every think by him self. And go up to US$ 2699 for a complete kit with out engine and/or donor car. If you go for a good used VW Quantum (you can find a Donor car for apprx. US$ 1000)and you find a good aknowled mechanic (Conversion in apprx. 14 hr per US$ 70) you will be ready to drive off with apprx. US$ 4700.

Any/All opinions and facts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much, If you like to get more information give me a call.

Sincerely Detlev Vanagon Projekt Livermore 925 606 8797 >>