Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Feb 1999 16:40:44 EST
From:         Steve Lashley <ThingGuy@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Considering an EV?
Comments: To: neil_larson@YAHOO.COM

In a message dated 2/24/99 5:39:28 PM, neil_larson@YAHOO.COM wrote:

<<I was considering buying a 93 EV MV, 105K miles, auto transmission, but after cruising this and other lists I am not so sure now. Here are some of the complaints that are making me think twice about it:

- expensive and hard to find tires (not more than any other tire) - weak head gaskets, leaky heads (?) (you're thinking Vanagon, not EV) - oil filter difficult to change (yep, it's a b*tch the first time) - difficult coolant change - engine mount problems in automatics - defective series resistors - piston slap when cold ( have not experienced this) - fuel and temp gauges malfunction (yes, but easily repaired if handy with soldering iron) - paint and rust problems at body panel seams (yep, just like the Vanagon) - very expensive catalytic converter (I hope not, think I need one) - gas and brake pedals too small and too close ( I don't think so, but try driving an old bug, and then decide if they are) - very expensive A/C repairs - problems with power locks and windows - poor headlights (low beam) (look good to me) - electrical problems - loose hubcaps (?) - frequent fuel pump replacements (I've heard this, but no problems so far) - weird or intermittent heating vent operation - squeaky blower motors - less reliable than Vanagons (?) (you've got to be kidding!) - in general, very expensive parts and labor (only from the dealer) - ..... others, anyone ?

Are these accurate? Any good news? I test drove this EV for almost 1 hour and liked it, but the last thing I need is to fork over $$$ just to spend every weekend fixing things. TIA for any responses.

Neil>>

Neil, I haven't owned my '93 EV MV long enough to be able to give you any advice on weather the EV has more or less problems than a Vanagon or other van, but you should consider the mileage on the vehicle you are buying.

At 105,000 miles you may need new brakes, tires, water pump, fuel pump, battery, alternator, timing belt, accessory belts and so on, you get the idea.

If the regular maintenance was kept up on the van, then most of these won't be a problem. Most any vehicle these days will crest 100K miles without major problems, however, when the EV gets to about 75K on up, many of these parts may need to be replaced. I've just replaced my tires and I'm going to do the front brakes this weekend. I'm also looking at a new exhaust system, and likely at least a rear muffler and cat. I now have 79K on the EV.

There are other options out there for parts, other than the dealer, and as for the tires, I didn't find these any more expensive than other vans or cars for a quality tire. I just put Nokian NRWs on the van at about $82 ea. plus installation.

Go price similar parts for other vans and see what they go for. In my experience, VW parts are just as outrageous as the other manufacturers, and need replacing only as often.

Steve Lashley '93 EV MV EuroCampers.com Importing German Side Tents, Carver Propane Heaters, and other Cool Accessories for Eurovan, Vanagon, and Bus.