Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Feb 1999 18:38:02 -0800
From:         Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: E-Code Lights
Comments: To: Pat Dooley <pdooley@GTE.NET>

Pat, You correctly surmised that you are missing something regarding the thread in which $300 was mentioned along with headlights. The desire for better headlights has been reflected in threads that have been going on for years. The latest thread was started by me and it has been going on for about two months. It has been an educational process which I will not attempt to repeat here. But I will summarize:

This thread has been about the rectangular headlights that come stock on the later model vanagons shipped to the U.S. Unfortunately, these are probably the worst low beam headlights ever made. They are the worst of both worlds. Both the bulb and the reflector really suck. The result is that these low beams are not only dim, but they are dangerous. Especially in bad weather. Most agree that the high beams are adequate. Many of us want better low beams Unfortunately it's not just a matter of switching bulbs. Neither the 9004 bulb holder nor the power supply wires that come stock lend themselves to just poping in a brighter bulb. And even if you could just pop in a brighter bulb, the stock reflectors are so poor that much of the gained light would not be put where you need it most. Dan Stern of Stern Lighting has a very educational web page at http://lighting.mbz.org/ that explains why this is so. In short, the solution is to get a headlight with better reflectors that will accommodate the H4 bulb. While the 9004 puts out only 700 lumens at the low beam 45 watts; the H4 bulb puts out 1000 lumens at the low beam 55 watts. Also the way the thee inside of the bulb is constructed makes the light more useable. But even then, the headlight reflectors that meet U.S. Standards are not as effective at putting the light where you need it as are the headlights that meet European Standards (E-Code). So the best fix is to get E-Code headlights that have H4 bulb sockets built into them. It turns out that the only rectangular (later model vanagons) E-Code headlights that have the same attachment point pattern where the headlights bolt onto the metal cans that are fitted to the stock vanagon are the Hella E-Code headlights that came stock on the vanagons in Europe. They are not sold here in the U.S.; so to get a set of these is a special order from Europe. It is even hard to find anyone that can or is willing to import them. Part of the reason for that is that by definition E-Codes do not meet U.S. headlight standards (DOT). In some states this is no problem. But in the states that have inspections it can be a problem.

David Marshall (list administrator) has been selling some of these E-Code headlights for about $270 without the bulbs (about $8 each) or the rubber boot that protect the connections from rain (cost unknown yet). (Thus the estimate of $300 for David's headlight offer.)

Randy Bergum (another list member) has developed a kit that will adapt other, less expensive and more available, Hella E-Code headlights to the stock attachment points of the vanagon. This kit will cost about $200 (if an order of 5 sets can be put together), and it does include the bulbs and the rubber boot. But it is not a 100% stock look since these lights do not have as much curve as the stock vanagon headlights (European or U.S. versions). This makes the outside corners of the headlights stick forward from the grill about 1/2 inch. Also, Randy is a very busy guy and has not gotten free to build a new batch of his kits. So we don't know exactly when these will be available.

Also, a few very talented souls with time on their hands have gone to the junk yard, found E-Code headlights, and fabricated their own version of an adapter kit so that they can be bolted to the stock mounting points (see recent descriptive post by Sam Bateman in archives).

If you are interested in learning more I can't speak highly enough for Dan Stern's very educational web site on headlights, http://lighting.mbz.org/

I hope this helps to clarify and bring people up to date on the rectangular E-Code headlight thread.

Bill 90 Westy Syncro Lake Tahoe

-----Original Message----- From: Pat Dooley <pdooley@GTE.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Wednesday, February 24, 1999 9:47 AM Subject: E-Code Lights