Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Feb 1999 07:37:49 -0500
From:         "Paul B." <paul98@PRODIGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: vw lawyers {little actual content}

Here is a story about a similar situation with the name appleimac.com. This article was obtained from

http://macweek.zdnet.com/1999/02/21/domainfeud.html

It will be interesting to see the outcome of this case since it is relevant to the volkswagen.org/net issue. My guess is Apple will back down due to the bad publicity.

In fact, I think publicity is the one tactic you can use against the VW lawyers. I am sure VW would not like it "leaked" to the general press the heavy-handed tactics VW is using against an innocent advocate of the product.

Best of luck,

Paul

------------------------ Teen seeks 'deal' with Apple By Reuters, ZDNN

A Canadian high school student has found himself in a David-and-Goliath struggle with Apple over his ownership of the domain name appleimac.com.

Apple claims the site's name infringes on its trademark for its popular new computer, the iMac. But instead of buckling under the pressure to hand over his domain name, 16-year-old Calgary student Abdul Traya wants to make a deal.

"I want to give it to them [Apple]. But first, I'm looking for a lawyer,'' Traya told Reuters in an interview.

"I'm starting to understand why they want it,'' Traya said, adding he wasn't looking for trouble when he registered the name for $150 just after Apple announced its new, translucent all-in-one computer.

Last week, the teenager was sent a stern letter through Apple's U.S. law firm, Fenwick & West LLP, demanding he relinquish the domain name registered to the Web site business Traya Net Inc.

Traya's business hosts about 130 Web sites on two servers, which are located in the basement of his parent's Calgary home. "We just wanted to draw people to the site, to test it out,'' he said.

Apple isn't taking it lightly. In its letter to Traya, the company says he committed an act of "blatant cyberpiracy.''

"Obviously, Traya Net obtained the domain hoping to trade off the tremendous goodwill represented by Apple's company name and its Apple and iMac trademarks,'' the letter stated. The law firm also requested the 11th-grade student simply transfer the domain name to Apple by signing an agreement they enclosed. He was to get it notarized and send it back to California.

Apple's lawyers were not immediately available for comment.

Traya says he's been inundated with encouraging calls and e-mails from supporters who've urged him to use whatever leverage he has. "I think I'm only 16 and they're so large ... people are saying that it wouldn't look good for them to take me to court.''

Traya now hopes to exchange the name for something "useful'' -- such as computers for his school.

He said the experience hasn't been all bad. In the week since he received the letter, he's had about a half-million visitors to his site -- compared with only 200 visitors since it was posted.