Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Feb 1999 12:58:40 -0500
From:         "G. Matthew Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: new diesel - - one cylinder, no compression
Comments: To: "g.a.meek@HOME.COM" <g.a.meek@HOME.COM>

Just brainstorming here--

Instead of taking the head off, could you remove the valve spring keepers and the valve springs, then rotate the valve in its seat, maybe "bang" it up and down a couple of times, then reassemble the springs etc.? Seams like that MIGHT loosen the chunk of crud.

Alternatively, (or additionally) you could pour pure Techron down that (#3) intake runner a few times over the course of a day or two in the hopes of dissolving/loosening the offending pard-crutticle (crud-particle). Change the oil afterward to get rid of the Techron that flowed into the oil.

G. Matthew Bulley Minister of Innovation and Efficiency Bulley-Hewlett & Associates Cary, NC USA www.bulley-hewlett.com (888) 468-4880 toll free

-----Original Message----- From: g.a.meek@HOME.COM [SMTP:g.a.meek@HOME.COM] Sent: Thursday, February 25, 1999 12:00 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: new diesel - - one cylinder, no compression

After just 10K miles on my new 1.6 litre TD engine, I find that it began running very rough, like on three cylinders.

I loosened each injector in turn to ascertain that #3 cylinder was not firing.

I checked the compression on that cylinder and found it to be zero! I poured a few tablespoons of oil down the hole to seal the rings better if they were badly worn, and checked the compression again. Read only 20 pounds. Must be problem valve(s).

I'm thinking that there must be a tiny piece of carbon wedged between the seat and the valve, keeping it open just a fraction of a millimeter, thus zero compression. Right? ? ?

Is there an optical snake one can introduce via the injector or glow plug hole, which could snake around and have a look at the valves, and while it's at it nudge the offending particle out of the way?

Is the only alternative now to take off the head to correct this minor but annoying difficulty?

The beast does not burn any Delvac 1 synthetic oil, nor is the coolant circuit pressured up nor does the coolant level drop over time.

Can a hydraulic lifter fail, and expand too much, thus keeping the valve open a tad at all times? ?

Annoyed at having to take off the hydraulic head after just 10,000 miles.......

gary meek alberta, canada

82 Vanagon TD 83 Quantum TD

Still looking for Eurovan front clip.....anyone, anyone