Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Feb 1999 17:06:05 -0500
From:         Bill Knight <bill@NS.ESC.STATE.NC.US>
Subject:      Re: Upgrading 1.9 to 2.1
Comments: To: Vanagon List <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Darrell,

I considered using all the newer equipment as well, but after reviewing the matter I determined that it was best to stick with the Digijet, which I believe is a good system. Now if the Digifant had the knock sensor, I'd probably choose to make the effort to migrate to the newer system. Think about what is involved, relocated computer, new connectors for the sensors, new wiring harness for the engine compartment. Gets to be a pretty big job and expensive too. The Digijet system works great.

Now the cooling system is a matter of your choice if you have a donor van with all the parts available. In my case, my existing hoses were in good shape with some having been replaced in the last few years. Also, from the looks of the cooling system, I believe you must use the 2.1 exhaust system in order for the cooling bits around the water pump to fit properly. You will also need to use the 2.1 engine cradle as well if you use the 2.1 exhaust system. My 1.9 exhaust system was nearly new, so the choice was obvious for me.

The best option in my mind, if all the parts are available and in equally good condition, would be to use the 2.1 cooling system and exhaust system, but use the Digijet electronics. The only necessary alteration you would need to do is to add a single-wire oxygen sensor to the exhaust system.

Bill