Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Feb 1999 20:57:27 -0800
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      5 cyl engine clearance follow up, long

For anyone still paying attention, a question arose a few days ago regarding the ground clearance of the 5 cylinder engine conversion in a Syncro. Helmut talked about his predictions for the final clearance and asked for measurements. He suggested that the clearance would be 5.2 inches at the oil pan. Detlev has now measured this in my Syncro and the clearance at the cross member below the oil pan is in fact 9 1/2 inches. The oil pan is even higher than this but this measurement represents the practical low point of importance. The skid plate measurement depends on the mounting points being used and the design of the plate. One should probably be built in 2 pieces to allow the cross member to be the lowest overall point. This would give 9 1/2 inches of ground clearance in this area in my case, which is about the SAME as the clearance before the conversion. See my note below for more info.

Helmut Zeidler wrote: >.... The problem on ground clearance in not the > exhaust system. The problem is the oil pan back between the rear wheels. > The South African original with Syncro undercarriage (but 2WD) gives > a ground clearence of 19cm, my conversion lowered the engine by 3cm > because of cross member mountings. Detlev's conversion lowers the > engine additional by 3cm by removing the mounting pots for the > engine supports at the cross member. Total ground clearence on a > Syncro should be 13cm (5.2 inch) at a Syncro. Mark, please confirm this > by measuring your ground clearence at the oil pan. > ....

> Helmut > '80 Vanagaudi

Mark adds a note: This is a very subjective measurement in any case as there are a number of factors to be considered. The load on the rear suspension; the amount of sag if any, in the rear springs; the SIZE of TIRE being used,etc. These make it difficult to compare the measurements between different vehicles but I will state the facts as I know them in the case of my Syncro. 112k miles on the odometer. Originally a 7 passenger model, now with a Westy interior and pop-top, since 89k miles. 15" alloys with Michelin 215/75/15 XC LT tires, 40PSI or so. Original springs as far as I know, KYB rear shocks.

blah,blah,blah Mark Drillock