Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Feb 1999 06:31:42 -0500
From:         Frank Condelli <ad793@FREENET.CARLETON.CA>
Subject:      Re: GE High Output Bulbs
Comments: cc: mruskin@pangea.ca, vanagon@volkswagen.org

Now to get back to the original subject.................The GE High Out put Bulbs that "were" on sale at Canadian Tire, AKA Crappy Tire. Sorry about your missing the sale and no stock at your CTS Mark, better luck next time. Anyways, it turns out that after my investigation which I tried to write you all about yesterday but got snafued by local computer bugs, The GE High Output Bulbs (yes Bulbs the lite emitting kind not the planting kind) and GE High Output sealed beam light are not exactly the same. The "Bulbs" will fit the later model Vanagons with the rectangular head lamps and the sealed beam units will not. After reading the information on GE's website about the sealed beam units with no mention of the "Bulbs" and after seeing the "Bulbs" the "Bulbs" filiments are not made the same supposedly superior way as the sealed beam units but much like any other ordinary automotive halogen light bulb. The "Bulbs" are rated 12v 65/45w which I noted were about the same an H4 bulb which was next to the GE's on the shelf. The H4's were rated at 12v 65/55w, 10w more on the low beam and the filiment was made in the same manner as the supposedly superior GE's High Output sealed beam units. The H4's at Crappy Tire will not fit in the late model Vanagon's headlamp shell and the maker I could not tell as they were labeled "Motomaster", Crappy Tire"s house brand. Seems to me that it would be a simple task to make the H4's to fit the late model Vanagon ! Anyways, I did buy a pair of the GE High Output "Bulbs" and will report back on my findings after I check my wiring for proper voltage at the headlamp end and get them properly installed and tested. Never thought that a simple headlight bulb could be so complicated did you ? Ha ! Think again ! And, I don't think I'm gonna go out and blind the oncoming traffic with these things. I just want to be able to see the damn road that I'm driving on better than I can with the two flashlights that VW originally provided !

The cost of the GE High Output "Bulbs", Canadian Tire #9004HO, $11.99 cnd. This was the sale price and I believe they are regularly $14.99 cnd. AND on my bill from Crappy tire they are called "lamp bulb" so there !

Check out these websites for more info:

GE......> www.ge.com/lighting/auto/hoh.htm Crappy Tire.......> www.canadiantire.ca/~e-flyer/html

Cheers

Frank