Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Feb 1999 11:14:43 +0000
From:         Odyssey Stickers <odyssey@SLIP.NET>
Subject:      RE : Fuel Line protectors

Paul,

I'm new to the list but I also replaced some fuel lines and cleaned up the top of the engine (the part you see looking down into the inside hatch). The engine had 12 years of rust flakes dirt and sand on the top of the engine, under the intake runners etc. After one of those factory crimp hose clamps blew off and left me stranded, only one block from home, tow straps are handy, I decided to replace as many of the clamps and hoses as I could. I have done it around the engine etc. I removed the intake etc. for sandblasting and painting. so it was easy to see what went where. I used 7.9 mm hoses over the 7 mm and it was still a tight fit on the vw fuel T and fuel runners. I did use the (over priced) $2.99 a foot an 4 for $2.99 hose clamps for fuel inj. systems.

Ok back to the point. I did not reuse the factory brown covers because they were to stiff to get the new lines into. And I did not keep track of what went where, as they were bent up and could only go in the places they came from. I just checked and I have some of this "camo-tubing" stuff left over from my college days of being a car accessory installer 10 years ago. It's 3/4 inch outside diameter, made of black plastic. I'm going to try it on my 87 vanagon as the fuel lines are unprotected at this point. The tubing is split so it can be put on after hoses are in place. The tubing looks very similar (except the dia. is smaller) than what is used for the power steering hoses on my 90 cabrolet. On there from when it was new.

I'll try it on my fuel lines and I'm up for giving some up for free,( minimal postage) it's real hard to find a use for the stuff and it's been sitting around for a while. I know I must have at least 20 feet of it or more. I'll know when I try it on my vanagon.

Sorry to ramble.

Let me know if you have an interest in that stuff, the "camo -tubing" ,it is designed for auto use and under hood use. I think it will do a similar job of isolating the fuel lines etc.

Rob ---------- >From: "Paul J. Borghese" <paul98@PRODIGY.NET> >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Subject: Fuel Line protectors >Date: Tue, Feb 23, 1999, 4:36 PM >