Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Feb 1999 19:12:41 -0800
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: 5 cyl engine clearance follow up, long
Comments: To: Björn <bratjen@DIRECT.CA>

Hello, Bjorn. Even using your numbers yields a ground clearance of 21 cms (8.2 inches) after the conversion, using stock size tires. This is over 50% higher than the projected height of 13 cms (5.2 inches). This is due to the efforts of the conversion designer to achieve the maximum possible ground clearance. This was the point of my initial response. It was stated that the 5 cylinder was not a good choice in Syncros because of ground clearance problems, and this is NOT the case with this kit. He has developed a 5 cylinder kit that WORKS in Syncros without a ground clearance problem. I measured my Syncro before I left it with Detlev for the conversion and thanks to his efforts the clearance is not substantially reduced. This is only one of the advantages of his design, as I have stated previously. I agree with you regarding the pulley. The pulley will be protected by an extension of the skid plate when the new skid plate design is complete.

Mark Drillock

Björn wrote: > > At 08:57 PM 26/02/99 -0800, Mark Drillock wrote: > >For anyone still paying attention, a question arose a few days ago > >regarding the ground clearance of the 5 cylinder engine conversion in a > >Syncro. Helmut talked about his predictions for the final clearance and > >asked for measurements. He suggested that the clearance would be 5.2 > >inches at the oil pan. Detlev has now measured this in my Syncro and the > >clearance at the cross member below the oil pan is in fact 9 1/2 inches. > .... > > Okay, let us calculate. 9 1/2 inches equals 24 cms which is indeed about the > same distance (23 cms) which I can measure at my Syncro. > (Like yours mine was converted later into a camper and has endured 270000 > kms on sometimes very rough roads. It was not completely empty at the time > of measurement, so I could reasonably add 2 cms. Let's call it even to make > it simpler.) > > However my Syncro has 185/75 14 tires compared with your 215/75 15s. This > would add another 3.1 cms clearance to yours with the waterboxer assembly. > The Syncro engine is already mounted lower than the 2WD because of the front > driveshaft. The installation of the 5cyl Audi engine took another 3cms away. > q.e.d. This is what Helmut was saying. > > The 5cyl is a more bulky engine, no doubt about it. In addition I would > recommend some protection for the pulley in the rear and move the alternator > to the right of the engine for Syncro purposes. > > Björn