Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Feb 1999 23:22:26 -0500
From:         jack <jack@HTONLINE.COM>
Subject:      FW: Valve lifter noise solution.

---------- From: jack[SMTP:htonline.htonline.com] Sent: Saturday, February 27, 1999 10:24 PM To: 'vanagon post' Subject: Valve lifter noise solution.

I'm new to this list and this will be my first post. I live in Ann Arbor MI.

I purchased my 84 Gl , 1.9L, 2 yrs ago with 95k miles and now have 147k on it. Athough I changed oil and filters every 30k, my lifters became noiser and noiser at cold start and took longer each time to warm up and quiet. Strange things, like leaving it parked on an incline would cause them to rattle. I talked to my local dealer he wanted $1,800 for heads and would not just "do the valves". (now that I know more about the "Waterboxer" I wouldn't either). I took it to my local "high tech" VW shop to have the oil pump pressure checked, he instead checked the engine oil pressure (which was about par for a high time engine) and told me the engine was running rich, and along with some (now, $2000) heads I needed a complete electronic diagnosis ($125).

I changed to 50w oil. Worse! So I parked it, as by then, I had decided I would run it over to Windsor Canada and have the VW dealer drop in a factory rebuilt engine (lots cheaper in Canada as I understand all VW factory engine rebuilds are done there, and the exchange is $1.50 vrs $1.00 US).

Then I read this list. The whole thing from last year to date. I found the magic word there. Fram!!

Yes the %&*!!** Fram oil filters. I went to the dealer, paid him his $10 or whatever, and my van runs like new. No more valve lifter noise. What can I say except, thanks gang. And to anyone running after market oil filters to save a few bucks, why risk it. I learned that all oil filters are not created equal, and Fram is less equal of all.

Frank A2 84 GL 91 Festiva.