Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Feb 1999 11:11:18 -0600
From:         Blue Eyes <lvlearn@MCI2000.COM>
Subject:      Trailer wiring, and Kar Kaddy use with Vanagons

I recently bought a Demco Kar Kaddy with which I'm about to go cross country to move two Vanagons I recently bought. I'll be using my diesel pickup truck which I've used to tow trailers and to tow other vehicles using a tow bar. But this used Kar Kaddy which I got from a used car lot had it's wiring torn and the electrical connector was gone. So I was facing much the same decision Jason is facing, even though mine didn't involve a Vanagon's wiring.

I went to a Walmart automotive department and was surprised at the wealth of connection kit options, and the variety of connector plugs. I wanted to have as close to a universal standard as I could find. So I contacted a couple rental businesses and asked what they suggested. I was told that the old flat four lead connector is the best choice. It has a standard color code for all vehicles and plug locations, so if you install one following the kit's instructions, it will automatically interface with any others complying with this standard. Adapter plugs that interface this standard to other configurations may be purchased, so it's something of a "common denominator." It has a ground lead, a running tail lamp lead (low wattage filaments), and one for each turn signal/brake (high wattage filament). Some specialty kits they sold ran up to $19.95, but this kit only ran $3.95. It included both plugs with long wires for the tow vehicle side and short ones for the trailer, and 4 of the vexing "Scotch Lock" wire connectors.

With this posting, I'm unsubscribing from both Vanagon Lists. I'm leaving today for the east coast with the articulated steering Demco Kar Kaddy towed by my 58 hp. diesel pickup. I called Demco which sells these units by the thousands to rental franchise chains, independents, auto dealers, RV owners, and indirectly to at least one Vanagon nut case. My initial trial runs towing it at 70 mph empty revealed that it tended to "hunt" side to side so I suspected a wheel alignment problem. Joe from Demco explained the simple alignment procedure of loosening the steering locking pin bracket and spinning the horizontal bar on the tie rod threads. They have this designed like a turn buckle so spinning it either pushes or pulls each side. I was instructed to set the toe in to 1/8 to 1/16 th of an inch. No more "hunting." If you ever borrow or rent one, I can tell you that it's very possible for someone to have spun this bar 360 degrees or some multiple of 360 so the wheels will not be aimed in agreement. Mine was received that way.

Another topic this list has discussed is towing vehicles backwards. I asked Joe, who seemed to be in management, about this. He said their brochure instructions specifically suggest NOT towing vehicles that way, but their reason for doing so was because they had learned early on that these tow dollies are often used to pick up autos that have just been in front end accidents. In those cases, if the front suspension is damaged, the towed vehicle may be unstable. I told him I planned to tow a couple VW Vanagon vans with rear wheel drive and automatics, but only had engine problems. He said towing those backward would work just fine, and people have done it for years. He said they prefer to have people call them there about towing vehicles backward rather than assume they will get the message that backward towing is all right ONLY if the front suspension is normally aligned and safe to drive forward. He said not to trust the anti-theft steering lock but rather use a strap like the seat belt to secure the steering wheel straight.

Another issue others might consider is Kar Kaddy licensing. I could not get a title for this as the selling company in Nebraska did not have one and told me they were not required to have a license plate for tow dollies in that state. They owned 3 of these dollies and decided that since I wanted to buy one, 2 would be enough for their use. I took my bill of sale to the department of motor vehicle licensing counter in the state where I have my northern home base, and asked to buy a license plate for it. They looked at the bill of sale and said roughly, "Oh, this is just a car tow dolly. There's no title issued with them and there's no VIN and there's no license plate for them. We won't issue one to you and you don't need one." I asked if I could get a written statement from them to take along with me to show to any law officer who might stop me as I planned to drive through many states with it. She said, "No." Grrrrrrrr. She did say that if I wanted to apply for a title on it I could and maybe I could start paying for license plates on it if that would please me. I thanked her and left. Outside, as I was leaving, a highway patrol officer saw me and obviously assessed my road appearance, which was tidy and clean. He actually waved a friendly smile. The towed vehicle is supposed to have a plate. An empty dolly is apparently a phantom!

Well, Washington DC, southern New Jersey, Georgia, Maryland, and maybe California, here I come. What do you want to bet that I get over 35 mpg towing empty and over 25 mpg towing Vanagon? I'll let you know later in the show. I wish the best to you all. Be well and live in grace, John