Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Feb 1999 23:10:29 +0100
From:         Michael Meier <michael.meier@KNUUT.DE>
Subject:      wbx 6, should I?

Hey Listees,

It's a long time now, that I wanted to upgrade my VW-Bus score for another camper. The 58 split is still my beloved toy, but for german autobahns its really no longer the right car for long distances. After 3 years with an 88 multivan (nearly like the US weekender, non pop top) I've got a77 westy pop top and enjoyed it for four summers now. It's a reliable car in good condition, no water-leaks, no power-anything, less comfort than the vanagons - but ok.

Then yesterdays phone-call. A friend told me, that in his local newspaper a Camper was advertised. 1988 Vanagon Dehler conversion (German high end conversion, has even got a shower inside), auto, power everything, loaded, and - 3.2L WBX 6 Oettinger, just under 10k$. An hour later, I was on my way 100 mls to have a look. The trader had already closed when I arrived, but I could look at it. Little (normal) seam-rust, 140.000 km, otherwise better than normal condition. No A/C. No catalyst, what means $700 road tax per year. Arrgghh. The engine looked used, but dry, gearbox normal wet. But this engine - I fear it will ruine me. It was nearly 14k$ plus the original engine from new. The exhaust looks like a nightmare, tubes everywhere. This Bus is the rarest of the rare over here - I think there are not more than 25 Dehler WBX 6 all over germany. Shall I enjoy it (with big risk) or shall I forget it?

Your advices are welcome.

Michael Meier 58 split 77 westy

[text/html]