Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Feb 1999 23:18:29 -0500
From:         Pat Dooley <pdooley@GTE.NET>
Subject:      wbx 8, parallel cats

Hey just put two cats in parallel. That will give you twice the flow. Why, It would be like having an 8 cylinder WBX. No need to worry about computer control. Just run the mixture extremely rich or pull a couple plug wires and tool around. That'll melt the bricks, then just beat them out with a hammer. Now you have simulated converters for tax purposes and the power of an 8cyl WBX...wow, what could be better????

On a serious note, Eric is right on both accounts, as much as that pains me. I would hope the WBX 6 has a closed loop system for mixture control, stone age if it doesn't. If Ron's wimpy cat can't hang with the big boys, Summit or Jegs or any other reputable speed shop will sell you a 2, 2.5 or 3 inch cat in the same price range. A three inch cat would offer so little flow restriction you prolly couldn't notice a power drop from a strait pipe. And don't beat your bricks out. We all have to live here. Even Eric. HeHe, just kidding. > -----Original Message----- > From: EMZ [mailto:vw4x4@fyi.net] > Sent: Sunday, February 28, 1999 10:43 PM > To: Pat Dooley > Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: wbx 6, should I? > > > A CAT without a computer controlled engine will not last. Hopfully > the engine is setup for an o2 sensor and it could be easily installed. > Also you just can't throw any old CAT in there. The restriction from > a 4 CYL. CAT. maybe enough to go reduce the power out put by say > 25%........may as well go back to the original motor. > > Eric 86-VW4x4 > vw4x4@fyi.net 72-240z > Pittsburgh, PA USA 1936-Chrysler > > > On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, Pat Dooley wrote: > > > Come on guys, get creative. > > You can buy a new MIG welder setup for less than a years road tax. > > Aluminized exhaust pipe elbows are dirt cheap, even mandrel > bent stuff isn't > > that pricey. > > Buy a $99 cat from Ron and learn how to weld- really, its not that hard. > > You can put together a custom exhaust for pretty cheap, not > counting your > > original investment in the MIG, which you'll wonder how you ever lived > > without... > > > > > -----Original Message----- > > > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com]On Behalf > > > Of Björn > > > Sent: Sunday, February 28, 1999 8:18 PM > > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > > Subject: Re: wbx 6, should I? > > > > > > > > > At 05:36 PM 28/02/99 -0500, Ron wrote: > > > >> No catalyst, what means $700 road tax per year. Arrgghh. > > > > > > > > > > > >Hmmm. A cat is only $99. Even an exhaust that can accept > it (assuming > > > >stock '88 US=spec exhaust) is $469 complete (my price), asuming > > > stock 2.1L > > > >parts. And if not stock, for $600 couldn't you have the exhaust > > > modified to > > > >accept the $99 cat? The cat is US made, but the exhaust system > > > is Danish, > > > >which certainly would cost even less in Germany than in the > U.S. (and if > > > >not, you could always mail order it from the U.S.). Even > > > including shipping, > > > >it seems like for less than 2 years road tax you could fit a catalyst > > > >exhaust to it for once and for all, and avoid the $700/year > tax. I can't > > > >see paying $700/year rather than just modifying it to accept a > > > cat. What am > > > >I missing? > > > > > > > >- Ron Salmon > > > > The Bus Depot > > > > http://www.busdepot.com > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Ron, you are talking 6 cylinders, no 2.1 WBX parts. You are missing 2 > > > cylinders. > > > You are talking expensive part prices wherever you look. I > doubt that you > > > would have anything in stock. > > > > > > As for Michael's decision it is being reasonable (saying no) > against what > > > the heck (yeah). > > > > > > > > > Björn > > > > > >