Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Feb 1999 00:08:20 -0600
From:         Scott Hall <ictalurus@WESTAL.NET>
Subject:      DAS BOOT UPDATE

Greetings Volkers, First, I want to thank all of those that responded to my queries. You have been a tremendous help.

Das Boot Update:

The problem of no spark was traced to a low voltage condition at the coil. The voltage was 3 volts and 10 volts. It didn't matter whether I had the ECU plugged in or not. The coil on my 86 Wolfsburg has two green wires coming off terminal 1. The smaller of these, according to the schematic, goes to connector E12 in the dash. On a lark, I unplugged this wire. The voltage returned to normal(12-13 volts) at the coil. She cranked right up. Having misread the schematic, I thought this faulty wire ran to the ISCU. The ISCU isn't hooked up. I figured on running the van with it pulled off. It ain't never that easy. The little green wire doesn't go to the ISCU but to E12 connector in the dash. I assume it provides the dynamic oil pressure unit with RPM info. After trying to physically trace the route of the green wire, I gave up and reattached the "faulty" wire. "Das Boot" cranked up. Voltage is nominal at the coil. I have no idea what the heck is going on with her, either. Maybe the green wire was grounded and moving it around while tracing it's route "solved" the problem. I really don't won't to look a gift horse in the mouth but I don't feel good about it all. I set the timing and fiddled with the idle mixture and got it running fine and idling well enough(no ISCU.) But I fear this problem will hit me again on some deserted back road. To make matters worse, the schematics don't agree with what I see with respect to the wires coming off the coil. VW made changes during the production run for 1986 Vanagons. Mine VIN is close to when they made the change. Neither of the seperate schematics that reflect the change agree with my van. I am going to study the problem and report what I find. Deep breaths, Stay calm, Be methodical, Focus...focus, It is only a vehicle.........................or is it? Dan Hall "Das Boot" 86 Wolfie(poptop--no kitchen.)