Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Feb 1999 00:22:18 -0900
From:         Chris and Alina <bigsofa@ALASKA.NET>
Subject:      Syncro GL: keep your eye on that wheel!

I had the rare experience of being passed on the highway by a piece of my van last weekend.

After a fine day of skijoring up the Denali Park road, and a fine evening of socializing at Jamie and Jen's wedding reception in McKinley Village, a strange noise began from the driver side of the van about 10 miles north of Healy as we headed back to Fairbanks. It sounded like we were in the grooved pavement of the breakdown lane, but we weren't. I pulled over to inspect the tires, and eliminated the flat tire theory. Back on the road, accelerating into third, noise resumes, and I traced the drive train from the inside out. Transmission? VC? CV? When BAM the van settled low in the rear, and there on the other side of the double yellow was my driver's side rear wheel, picking up speed as I slowed towards the shoulder. "Keep your eye on that wheel!" I shouted as we stopped. My bipedal passengers pulled on their coats and set out to follow the distinct track left by a lone studded snow tire that plowed through the snow into the alders. The truck that was behind me passed us and stopped. Turns out I know the guy, and he hung around. The secessionist wheel's lug holes were enlarged, so I went for the spare. You know the plastic ring that you pull to release the spare tire tray after you remove the bolt? Broke off in my hand. I jacked it up and looked at the lugs. No lug nuts, of course, and the threads were in poor shape. I borrowed a nut from each of the loyalist wheels, and it took two of us to get them on any where near snug the wheel with the breaker bar I use as a lug wrench. Mighty shady, but that was my best shot. And the wheel stayed on for another 120 miles like that, a long 3 hours back home.

Haven't looked at it since we rolled into the garage Sunday night. Anybody out there been through this? I know I need a dozen lug nuts. Are the studs replaceable? Is the hub wrecked? What else might I have damaged?

So, check your lug nuts, carry some extra ones, and let me know if you have any thoughts on what I'm facing in repairs.

Thanks, Chris Wyatt '87 Syncro GL 108,000 miles Fairbanks, Alaska