Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Mar 1999 10:02:02 -0500
From:         Maureen Stretch <mstretch@SPRINTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      One-armed Westy Handling?

Listees,

Three weeks ago, I fell and broke my left shoulder in a couple of places. (While feeding puppies - - it shows you, no good deed goes unpunished.) With dog show camping weekends coming up, I am seriously considering selling my wonderful Westy to get an RV, if I can't figure out how to overcome the one-armed problems. My shoulder is doing fine, but I probably won't have full extension and use of it for things like lifting up the poptop roof, for 6 months to a year or more. (I can drive it ok, w automatic tranny and ps.)

Do any of you know of any creative solutions that would help me:

1. raise the poptop one-handed? I was a weakling to begin with- -it was hard with two.

2. hook up and unhook the little 3 by 4 enclosed travel trailer that I tow? That was also hard for me to move around with two hands .

3. load and unload the Westy easily? With the dogs and their gear, it is a lot of stuff to load for the road, move when we arrive, reload for home and then unload at home.

Also, I will now be traveling with 4 Lhasa dogs not two, so it is more stuff. An RV looks a whole lot easier to handle.

I'd appreciate any suggestions from the list. Have any of you survived one-armed camping in a Westy alone? (I could try renting friends or friends' kids, but that's even more stuff.)

Also, I don't want to permanently modify the Westy, either.

TIA for your thoughts.

Maureen

Maureen Stretch Natick, Mass. 91 Vanagon GL Westy "Johann"