Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Mar 1999 12:17:27 -0500
From:         "G. Matthew Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      broken temp sensor
Comments: To: Joachim Beek <jbeek@NASGRO.JSC.NASA.GOV>

Joachim wrote:

" I'll check for cracks, but is there any way to test the sensor itself?" It isn't worth testing... My Jetta eats these sensors. I've had three in six years. Any list vendor probably can get you a sender for about $15. The tank (again, mine's a Jetta, Van-agony may be different) is about $12. Both require about 2 minutes and basic tools (wheel, lever, fulcrum, pulley; okay, well not THAT basic)) to replace. If your sender has any miles on it, once you pull it out, the little soft gasket may leak when you thread it back in. So, cough up the cabbage, and award your van a new sender. :) Happy with our air-cooed Westy...

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett & Associates Cary, NC USA www.bulley-hewlett.com (888) 468-4880 toll free

-----Original Message----- From: Joachim Beek [SMTP:jbeek@NASGRO.JSC.NASA.GOV] Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 1999 11:19 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: '85 temp warning light won't turn off.

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999 KENWILFY@AOL.COM wrote:

> I have had similar problems with Jettas (which use basically the same coolant > level sender) and my '85 Vanagon. <<<SNIP>>>Just unplug the sender and look > at where the two prongs are on the top of the tank. If there is wetness in > there then this is your problem. The wetness up there could also be caused by > hairline cracks in the expansion tank around where the sender screws in. This > is a common problem with these tanks. > Let me know what you find. > Ken Wilford > Van-Again > John 3:16 >

Ken, interesting that this question should pop up now. My temperature "idiot" light started flashing a couple of days ago, but only when the coolant has warmed up, incidentally. Expansion tank had coolant in it, refill tank was low, but the plug did have wetness in and around it. Recently (before the light started flashing) I had the water pump replaced, so I thought the light flashing and coolant levels in the two tanks might have been due to an air bubble working its way out.

I'll check for cracks, but is there any way to test the sensor itself? Bentley is stumm on this, so maybe not.

Joachim 90 GL 78 Scirocco