Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Mar 1999 15:01:41 -0500
From:         "William W. Barker" <wbarker@NOTES.CC.BELLCORE.COM>
Subject:      respect - Didn't your mama teach you any manners?
Comments: cc: KENWILFY@aol.com

Ditto Micheal.

I usually just read on the list unless I think I have something useful to share. Yesterday, I posted a response to a listee asking about how to deal with road noise in his van. I posted simple response suggesting that loose fiberglass insulation might be a health hazard if installed in the walls of a vehicle.

In return I received a couple of responses, one suggesting a hidden political agenda and condescendingly referring to me as "dude".

While this is pretty mild stuff, I also received a response with pretty much the same opinion, but which made no attempt to insult me. But actually dealt with the issue.

It makes me wonder how newcomers leave if they ask their first question and get a smart-ass reply instead of help.

Thanks, - Wil

The repartee follows:

Re: Road Noise (Don't use fiberglass) (Document link not converted) Volks, I'm not sure if anyone else already responded to this.. Adding insulation is a good project but I'm pretty sure VW would have used some other less toxic to the lungs, insulation.

Especially with all the air movement in a van, this would be a really bad idea.

- Wil

From: "Robert A. Alexander" <satcong@vol.com>

Will

- Are we about to get a "politically correct" lecture on how fiberglas insulation causes lung cancer??? Please don't. It can't. Fibres ain't small enough, dude, plus it's inert.

Wil,

great to hear from you and how are you doing? I have removed the interior on my '91 Carat and it has fiberglass insulation in the walls. I have also seen a Wolfsburg edition Vanagon (in Ron Salmon's yard) that was stripped of its interior which also had fiberglass insulation so I am pretty sure that this is what VW used to insulate thier vehicles.

Ken Wilford Van-Again John 3:16 PS I am not saying that this is the best stuff to use but that is what VW used.