Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Mar 1999 20:02:32 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>
Subject:      H4 Headlight Upgrade $35/PAIR
Comments: To: Type 2 List <type2@type2.com>

Since there has been so much talk of improving headlights, I wanted to advise those who have a '68-85 bus or vanagon (round headlights) that there is a cheap and easy upgrade that involves little cost and no modification. I once again have the H4 headlight kits for $34.95/pair. These are basically knockoffs of the H4 headlight kits sold by Hella and Cibie, but at a much lower price. They are drop-in replacements for the round headlights currently in your bus, but rather than being sealed-beams, they use replaceable (and included) H4 halogen bulbs. They install in 5 minutes with only a screwdriver, same as changing a bulb, and replacement H4 bulbs are available at any auto parts store.

I should note that these are not technically street-legal in all states (nor are the equivalent Hellas and Cibies), and technically are sold for "off-road use." However, "off the record," I had them on my own '85 Westy for years and never had a problem. Frankly they look outwardly the same as the stock headlights so I doubt anyone would even notice they were different. I have not yet had a customer tell me they got flagged for them on state inspection or anything like that (although even if you were, it would be a 5-minute job to pop the sealed-beams back in). And yes, I did find the lighting improvement to be definately noticable, perhaps not huge but significant enough to be well worth the minimal cost.

I had these a while back, but then was out of them for a while after the supplier imported an entire container-load that had the mounting tabs in the wrong locations! Needless to say, I pulled them off the market until they resolved the problem. I ended up resolving it in a different way; my current supply is from a different manufacturer entirely.

You can order these via the website (part number HQ6014), or of course call or email me. I currently have 12 pair in stock, first come first serve.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot http://www.busdepot.com