Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Mar 1999 01:05:50 -0800
From:         Mark Schrope <mschrope@CATS.UCSC.EDU>
Subject:      low compression problem

Hi everybody

I was on the list until last September but had to sign off when I moved here to California for school and got too swamped with work to read any email.

I've got a problem now with my compression and was hoping to get some advice. I'm dribing and '89 by the way. Basically it looks like I've got a sticky valve. The mechanic was troubleshooting something else and found that air shot into the #2 cylinder was coming out the exhaust. The compression was 75 as of two weeks ago but it feels like I may have lost a little bit more power recently.

The mechanic said that I might as well keep driving it for now but I'm having second thoughts. I put a lot of miles on the van and I will likely be driving back across the country this summer so I'm thinking I might as well get the work done now.

He said that the valve would have to be redone and if we were going to be in that far I might as well have the headgaskets done on both sides-- the last head gasket job was about 70,000 miles ago. Ballpark estimate was about 700 to do the one side and deal with the valve or just over 1000 for everything.

I'm inclined to get it all done with at once. So, I was hoping to get some feedback from others on whether this sounds like the best plan. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated as I agonize whether to spend this kind of money. Thanks in advance and please p-mail as I'm not getting the list.

Mark Schrope '89 Wolfsburg