Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Mar 1999 13:24:49 +0000
From:         Odyssey Stickers <odyssey@SLIP.NET>
Subject:      interior carpet

Hello,

On my new (to me) 87 GL vanagon, the interior carpeting is pretty much shot.

Carpet, not floor mats I'm referring to.

I checked at the dealer and the cost for the front molded carpet was $589 ish. I really would like to make some carpet fit to shape for the front and back where the rear seats were. The kids of the previous owner did what is there in, stains, gum etc. The rear carpet has already hit the dumpster. I called a supply house for the auto carper and it's $12 a yard x 40" (plus shipping). I do have access to use of a industrial sewing machine and the ability to have the edges bound at a local contact of mine (business associate) in the industrial tarp business. So the final look I'm going for will be a nice one, I hope).

I have some samples from the supplier and they don't look bad. I was thinking a dark gray color to hide the dirt better than the yellowish tan color that's there now.

The back carpeting (flat area) looks pretty straight forward. Measure, make a paper template if needed and go. Well a little more involved than that but you get the idea.

The front molded part will be a little more difficult, but not impossible. It will have to be made in parts cut and sewn to resemble the molded one. I asked how the molding was done (from the carpet supplier) and it's a process of heat and possibly steam (the samples are rubber backed, it seems). So the mold idea looks way to complex to bother with. I think by removing the molded carpet, inspecting it and figuring out how to make my new piece with as few parts as necessary but still basically functioning the same as the factory molded. Measure, make paper template pin a moc up together to see how it fits the vanagon, pretty basic stuff. Re do until I'm satisfied etc. I can use CAD to redraw the shape and plot out a pattern but I'm thinking paper trial and error method, by using the paper templates fitted in the van as described above.

Any one else interested. I want to do my back and front for under $125 incl carpet and edging materials. I would have to see what the time factor to sew up something like this so there would be a mark up for my time. I would offer the template if some one wants to go that route also.

I'm going for it as I can only think of the new carpeted inside, and the mess that's there now. Also if it comes out good I'd also like to make some floor mats with the edging to do as floor mats do, even in the back. I know factory floormats are nice but i'm going for basically cheap disposible alternitives, that look good too.

One weird one, any one beside me drive in the hot summer with the sliding door open (latched open)? I had a 78 Typ 2 (no ac, air cooled) and occasionally this was done with no guard or screen. I have a picture, I'll try to dig it up. I'd like to make a safety screen of some sorts and attach it to the open area. Any attachment ideas? for the screen with no holes drilled. If any thing this could doubble as a bug screen when camping.

I live in an industrial area (in a factory loft) there is a pipe bending compnay down the street. Any one want me to take a walk to inquire about prices for bending for possible syncro stuff? Sometimes things are cheaper when you deal with the place actually doing it, but not always. The only way to know is to ask.

Ideas welcome.

Rob